how do you want to
evolve the AEC industry?
Do you have an idea how to make something easier, faster, less complicated? Are you interested in working with others to explore ways architects, engineers, and contractors can work smarter and add more value to the wider world? Is there something you have to do that you cannot help thinking could be easier? Bring ideas or problems of all scales to beyondAEC and join with other like-minded folks to create solutions.
What are some of the key themes of beyondAEC?
- process optimization & automation
- data analytics & visualization
- energy & environmental analysis
- improved team communication & collaboration between companies
- model as a deliverable & re-inventing the traditional drawing set
- sensors & post-occupancy analysis
- virtual Reality & rendering
- 3D printing & digital fabrication
- geometry preparation & tool-pathing
Who should participate?
To deliver the best possible solutions, collaboration across industries is essential. This event caters to the following concentrations:
- real estate developers & owners
- programmers & coders
- software engineers
- web developers
- non-profits & other AEC-industry-adjacent organizations
Never been to a hackathon before?
At beyondAEC it's okay to...
- ask for help
- have no ideas
- share a stupid idea
- have no coding experience
- learn a new skill
- get hungry
- get tired
- take a nap
- leave and come back
- not be perfect
- find a quiet place
- say “I’m trying to focus right now”
- wander around & ask what people are working on
- not share what you create in the end
A successful hackathon project consists of several phases and incorporates a multitude of skills. Everyone can contribute in some way.
What skills are valuable for a hackathon?
Hackathons are not only about knowing how to code. Some of the countless skills individuals can utilize include:
- Clear Communication of Ideas
- Graphics & Presenation Slides
(on a tight timeline)
- Project Management & Team Leadership Experience
- Public Speaking
- Architecture: design & documentation
- Engineering: knowledge of structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing, or other building systems
- Building Information Modeling
- Visual Programming: Dynamo for Revit, Grasshopper for Rhino, & general principles
- Advanced 3D Modeling
- Environmental/Energy Analysis & Simulation
- Virtual Reality: how to set up, convert models, & create an immersive experience
- Data Visualization
- Data Analytics: capture, migration, scraping, re-structuring, etc.
- Web: general design, dashboards, user experience/interface, back-end management, etc.
- Sensors: how to construct, capture data, interpret, & draw conclusions
- Machine Learning & Generative Algorithms
- Coding/Programming: a specific language,
- Software Engineering: tool creation, add-ins, user experience/interface, deployment, maintenance
How can new approaches be developed to propel the AEC industry beyond current antiquated methods?
Start thinking about potential project ideas and come prepared to roll up your sleeves alongside talented colleagues.